Upcoming Entries

I'll think of more.

Sunday, June 13, 2010

You Must Stay and Eat - Bengali Hospitality

If you go to Bangladesh, you will not only get a taste of bengali food, but of bengali hospitality too. Soon after your arrival to a bengali home, the host will bring out drinks (tea, juice, soda), appetizers, and mishti (sweets) and this is just the starting course because the host will not let you leave without eating lunch or dinner depending on the time of your visit. My family and I made many visits and one thing remained the same, "You must stay and eat!" The host will stand over you as you eat and will scoop more food onto your plate whether you ask for it or not. I found all this doting a bit uncomfortable and unnecessary. If you feel overwhelmed by this superabundant hospitality as I did, remember that it comes from a good place. Feeding you to an early grave is the bengali way of showing love.

No comments:

Post a Comment