Upcoming Entries

I'll think of more.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Sarah vs Wild - My Encounters With Animal Kind

You'll see geckos in almost every Bangladeshi home. Don't fear or hate these little guys they don't bite or scratch and they keep the bug population under control. I ended up liking geckos so much that I named the one in the room I stayed in Mr. Tiktikki (lizard).
Mr. Tiktikki himself or...herself. Idk looked like a boy to me.

I saw many crows in Bangladesh. Random story: I was standing out on the chaat when a crow flew straight at me. I screamed and ran for the door. I got the crap scared out of me by a bird. A DAMN BIRD. It was a funny-had-to-be-there kind of story.
It looks like the crow is waiting for me.

I got to see monkeys! It is kind of a big deal because monkey sightings nowadays are rare especially in the city. Monkeys have a terrible reputation in Bangladesh for wreaking havoc; getting into homes and taking food and even attacking people. The flying monkeys from the Wizard of OZ seem less villainous in comparison.

Monkey!

OMG there's two of them! One is on the edge of the ledge...heh that rhymed.

Far right - Flying monkey!

Great landing. Stay out of the house.

Unlike the geckos or monkeys my experiences with bugs were not so positive. I hated hated hated the bugs. I saw cockroaches the size of half dollar coins with antennae like cat whiskers so disgusting. I saw a millipede too. Ick.

Mosquitos will eat you alive if you do not take the proper precautions. I made two mistakes. One, I did not sleep under a mosquito net. DO NOT DO THIS! You might as well play Russian roulette, but instead of a bullet stick in malaria, yellow fever, or west nile. I was mindless, but lucky. Two, I sprayed myself with mosquito repellent. I took great care to spray my face, arms, and legs. The next morning I woke up with a bunch of bites on my hands and feet. I missed the most obvious parts.

Sorry, no pictures of the bugs. Need I explain why?

No comments:

Post a Comment