Upcoming Entries

I'll think of more.

Friday, May 7, 2010

Retail Therapy - On A Mission To Find The Perfect Souvenir

Three hours before my next flight, I desperately stalked the stores of Al-Safwah Hotel; on a mission to find the perfect souvenir to remember Saudi Arabia and my umrah. I set a challenging task for myself because I wanted something distinctly Saudi. The challenge comes from what I mentioned in a previous post; nothing comes from the kingdom except oil and dates. I stopped at many stores and left empty handed. I didn't know what I wanted or what to look for.

Then my mind wandered to a T.V special I saw on Saudi Arabia being the trade center of the ancient world. The Saudis bartered with another resource, perfume…frankincense, myrrh, and essential oils. The essential oils were sought after not only for their pleasing smell, but their medicinal benefits. The perfume trade led to bartering for silks in China and spices in India. I made up my mind. I knew what I wanted. Perfume.

Walking in the perfume store, I saw shelves stocked with jars of clear liquid and others with varying hues of yellow and amber. The perfumes were not pre-bottled. I knew I wanted the scent of jasmine flower. The store owner showed me a beautiful bottle in the shape of Abraham's station to put the perfume in.
I found my perfect souvenir.

I love to dot the perfume on the back of my hand. The scent transports me back to Saudi Arabia…to mountains, camels, and bedouins. To morning bazaars, azaan, and masjids. To the land of God and His people.

Part One. Fin.

Not the clearest picture.
Right: My souvenir, amber colored liquid, jasmine scent in Abraham's Station bottle.
Left: Splurge, extra bottle of perfume I bought. I don't remember the name of the scent.
Middle: Given to me for free by the store owner. Beautiful scent, I don't know the name.

No comments:

Post a Comment