Upcoming Entries

I'll think of more.

Friday, May 14, 2010

Hello Mother - Thoughts On Going To Bangladesh For The First Time

For me, being Bangladeshi, but born and raised in America is like having two mothers. An adopted mother, America and a biological mother, Bangladesh.

My adopted mother, America, provided me with many things: shelter, food, education, comfort…endless opportunites that my biological mother, Bangladesh, could not have given me. Despite this, I yearned to see my biological mother because with her I shared an unbreakable bond. I shared with her my complexion, eyes, hair, smile, and voice. I wanted to meet her. To know her. To know what she looked like and what she smelled like.

The time had come for me to meet my biological mother. I felt a mix of excitement and apprehension. After 22 years, I would finally get to see her. But, I wondered, will she love me? Will I love her? Landing, I saw her vast green rice fields, marshes, and brown buildings. I didn't expect her to be so beautiful. I was happy to see her.
Hello, mother.

2 comments:

  1. That is very beautiful. Bangladesh is our Mother land and she has so many beautiful things to share. Thank you for filling my mind with so many happy visions of my home land.
    From Uncle Talat

    ReplyDelete
  2. sarrah`s commitment towards her motherland touch my heart.her expression is excellent.we are looking forward for her new episode. ANWAR,BANGLADESH

    ReplyDelete