Upcoming Entries

I'll think of more.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Everything Saudi - Clothes, TV, and What Is That Wonderful Smell?

The traditional dress for Saudi women are hijab (veil) and abaya (ankle-length full-sleeve dress). As Americans, we assume that because it's hot out we have to break out the mini skirts and short shorts. It's counterintuitive, but having that head-to-toe layer of protection over my skin kept me from getting hotter because I didn't get direct sunlight on my skin. I loved wearing my abaya it was so easy to move around in because of its loose fit.

Some of the abayas worn by Saudi women stunned me. There's intricate sometimes ornate embroidery and beadwork around the sleeves, waist, and hem. I saw women wearing abayas taken in at the waist or wearing a belt to accentuate the waist. Contrary to popular belief, woman aren't rendered completely figureless or unstylish in abayas. Some Saudi women wear a niqab that covers the face showing only the eyes and gloves. Neither are required by Islam.

I got a chance to flip through Saudi TV channels at the hotel. One channel was a 24/7 feed from the Masjid al-Haram. Another channel focused on Saudi culture and featured ardha, sword dancing. The rest were news channels. The scope of what the Saudis watch seem narrow because for the Saudis, God, Islam, and culture are at the hub of everything even television.

Used as a natural pest control for mosquitos, you'll find dragonflies everywhere. They're huge mean looking bugs that'll sometimes land on your abaya or sit atop your head, unbeknownst to you.

Like Americans, the Saudis drive on the right side of the road too. Our drivers in Saudi Arabia drove at blindingly fast speeds of 100-110 mph!!! I loved it. The Saudi police "try" to enforce the 80 mph speed limit with no avail. The Saudis have a need for speed and with gas prices at a mere 90 cents a gallon, why not drive fast?

There are millions of people in Saudi Arabia. Think of any big city with lots of people, the city stinks, right? Manhattan smells like rotting eggshells and banana peels, but Makkah and Madinah smell wonderful. It's a spicy woodsy smell. You'll smell it on people, in cars, in stores, masjids, and hotel rooms. What is this wonderful smell?
It's oud/agarwood.

Is there anything more you want to know about Saudi Arabia?
Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment