Upcoming Entries

I'll think of more.

Friday, April 23, 2010

Everything Saudi - Food, Bon Appetit!

I began writing my next post, Everything Saudi Arabia, when I realized I should do a separate post on food alone.
For all my food obsessed readers, Bon Appetit.

I can't talk about Saudi food without mentioning dates. Its a meaty sticky fruit with an earthy taste. I don't like dates.The only date I tried and liked, I drank down with bitter Arabic coffee made with cardamon. It's the best way to eat dates if you don't like the taste. The sweetness of the date becomes neutralized by the bitter taste of the coffee.

If you go to Saudi Arabia you MUST try shawarma. It's legit street food and a Middle Eastern staple. It's lamb meat that's been roasting on a spit all day. You can see the juices running slowly down the meat. It's usually ready to serve after Asr namaz (afternoon prayer), you won't be able to get it before then. The meat is shaved off into thin pieces and wrapped in a flatbread. Think of it as the Middle Eastern version of a philly cheesesteak.

Americans are notorious for their gluttonous food portions e.g., king size/supersize/biggie size = large. But, they can take a seat to the Saudis. My dad ordered what the Saudis consider a one person meal. It came with rice, lots of it, six long pieces of goat kabob, and a mound of steamed vegetables. There was enough food to feed him, my mom, and me!

And now, for the best thing I ever ate….Baba ghanoush. Our driver suggested I try Baba ghanoush so papa ordered that and three khubz, a large flat bread, to dip into the Baba ghanoush. It was made of yogurt, eggplant, olive oil, and spices. I singlehandedly ate it all.
There are so many variations on Baba ghanoush that I'll probably never have one that tastes similar to what I had in Saudi Arabia. I think you can find Baba ghanoush in ::gasps in disgust:: a can (sacrilege!) in Middle Eastern stores, but it won't be similar in taste, smell, or authenticity.

4 comments:

  1. one of my uncle and his family just did Umrah as well. ur parents know them. Sattar(babu) uncle. he is a dentist. he was telling us, there are abt 42 different types of dates in Saudi. i cannot wait to go and taste them all. its one of my fav things to eat..
    did u ever try baba ganoush here?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i did not have baba ghanoush in america. did you? does it taste good if you have? i kind of don't want to try it here b.c i think i'll be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol well u make a good point. american always try to modify authentic stuff in their own way and ruin their originality.
    i tried it. monir loves it. what did u hv it with there? here they serve it with pita bread

    ReplyDelete
  4. khubz it's a flat bread like pita but much bigger

    ReplyDelete